This is going to be a bit of a throw back (circa 2010), I haven’t been able to go any where lately so I’m going to write about a blast from the past. One of my favorite places to just relax, Jamaica! (Because where’s a better place to relax than the beach?)
First things first, I booked this trip for 2 people, it included airfare, all inclusive hotel (6 nights), ground transportation, and excursions. Guess how much it all cost me? $1,200. This is the day I fell in love with Expedia. LOL.
I was very pleased with the ground transportation company in Jamaica. They were right out side of customs, and made checking in for the ride quick and easy. I flew into Montego Bay, and my resort was in Ocho Rios so the bus ride took about an hour, but the bus driver was awesome; he kept us engaged with facts about Jamaica.
When I arrived at the hotel (Sunset Jamaica Grande), I was blown away by the customer service, and to be honest the hotel was beautiful. It had 5 pools, 2 swim up bars, was located ON the beach, there were 5 restaurants, a night club, and a couple of bars. (Unfortunately this hotel has been bought out and turned into something new but Sunset Jamaica still has a couple of other resorts on the Island).
After checking in I went on a journey around the hotel. I quickly found a bunch of employees hosting games, there was never a dull moment at this hotel. Even if I didn’t book any excursions on my trip I would’ve been fine just staying at the hotel. So many things to do on site.
One of the excursions I booked was Dolphin Cove, in Ocho Rios. They had free transportation from our hotel to Dolphin Cove. The entrance fee to the park included the viewing of all the animals they had on site, and unlimited snorkeling with the stingrays. To swim with the dolphins, or have an encounter with a shark you had to pay extra. The staff at this establishment was extremely friendly, and made sure everyone was happy and comfortable. You can tell they really loved their jobs and wanted to make sure you enjoyed your experience. I purchased the dolphin encounter, which included being in the water with the dolphins, having the dolphins swim with you while holding their dorsal fin, and watching them do tricks (while in the water with them), and having them push you in the water. The encounter was very enjoyable. I didn’t purchase the shark encounter but I was able to watch it from the pier. Everyone that purchased it seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves.
Another excursion I purchased was Tubing down the Chukka Chukka River. Again, the excursion provided free transportation from the hotel to the site. The ride to this excursion was a little nerve racking, but the bus driver was a pro. At this excursion they also allowed you to purchase other activities like riding ATVs and zip lining. I didn’t get any pictures of me tubing down the river because I didn’t trust bringing my camera in the tube. I thought most of the tubing would be in white waters, but actually 95% of the river was like tubing in the lazy river, the other 5% had some action (haha). At the end of the river you arrived at the hut, they served us all jerk chicken and then it was time to go.
The one excursion I did not book, but I wish I did book was Dunn’s River Falls. This excursion is extremely popular and everyone at the hotel was raving about it. Next time I go back to Jamaica it will be on my “To Do” list.
I know there’s a lot I left out since I am writing this blog entry 5 years later, but if you have any questions about my trip ask away and I’ll be sure to answer.
If you want to check out vacation deals on Expedia and try to get a deal like I did, I included a link below with special pricing.
Thank you all for visiting my blog.